How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20398
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an amputee and presently am limited to wheel chair use

Customer Question

Hi..............I am an amputee and presently am limited to wheel chair use for my mobility. I moved into a small garden apartment over a year ago and when I discussed financial assistance via Section 8 with my rent payment, I requested grab bars be installed by the toilet. I've waited over one year for this project to be completed and called my rental agent for my official request.
After the grab bars were installed by the apartment maintenance man, I was notified by the apartment management company that I owed $168 for this project.
As no one previously mentioned a cost associated with this installation, I was under the impression that the grab bars were necessary according to ADA regulations.
Please advise you opinion.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. It appears from your facts (you say the City owns the property and this is Section 8 housing) that your situation falls under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. If this is a housing complex that is HUD assisted housing, then the modification you referred to would have to be supplied (paid for) by the landlord as long as the modification and considered a reasonable accommodation and not cost prohibitive, which this should easily qualify as. You can see the law (which is not all that straightforward) and a fairly good discussion of the funding issues by going to the following links:
Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:
Thank you.