How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I. involved. For.

Customer Question

I . involved. For.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

If you have been subpoenaed, you need to appear in court as instructed or you will face a court order for "failure to appear"

If you do not know what the underlying action is that supported the subpoena there is a way to find out: (you will see a caption heading on the subpoena that gives you a case name and case number, as well as court information, you can use this to find more information about the case on the court's register of actions - many courts have online registers so you can do this from home, if your court does not, you will need to go to the courthouse and ask for the court records at the civil clerk's window).

Customer: replied 1 year ago. the.court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Is there something you did that was illegal? (DUI, etc.) that you are concerned about?

(Yes or no is fine, you don't need to post details on this public forum).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I.didin' anything.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Then there is no need to worry.

If you are concerned about maintaining your rights for a civil case that you may want to pursue later, you may want to hire a lawyer to discuss this matter with, but if you are not interested in pursuing your case, and aren't worried about any criminal prosecution, all you need to do is show up at the given time and date.

If you cannot make the appearance, contact the attorney that issued the subpoena and see if you can reschedule (but plan on showing up on the date scheduled, and if they do reschedule, get it in writing).