How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37883
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend just plead no contest to a family violence charge.

Customer Question

My friend just plead no contest to a family violence charge. He got 1 year probation, no violent contact. First offense.
Now his wife has asked for and gotten a protection order. No contact, 500 yds, $750 a month he pays to her, she maintains control of the house they were renting, all for 1 year.
There are a couple of questions.
Going to jail severely damaged his business (contractor). He is currently staying with a friend and borrowing money just to eat, be able to drive to see potential clients, and pay his probation costs. What does he do if he truly cannot come up with the $750/month?
She just filed to have the protection order amended so that he has to keep her on his car insurance. Is he able to file to have the order amended at any time? If not, is filing an appeal his only recourse?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


Is he under a court support order to pay the $750?





Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That may be the correct term. The $750 monthly was ordered to be paid under the protection order.
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.

Ok, if he was ordered to pay that amount by the judge, then his only option to get it reduced would be to file a motion to amend the order with the judge that put it in place. Its the wife already has a motion to amend the order scheduled then if he moves quickly he might be able to get his motion heard on the same date so he won't have to come back for another court date...Thanks Barrister