Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a wife file a blackmail lawsuit against someone who is

Customer Question
blackmailing her husband...
can a wife file a blackmail lawsuit against someone who is blackmailing her husband
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/11/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to say that while you may be married and the money may be marital property, because your husband is the one being blackmailed, your husband is the one has standing to file the suit. It is not about whose money he is using to pay the blackmail, it is the fact he is the one being blackmailed that is the reason the deputy here was correct in that your husband has to file.
You can stop your husband from using your marital money, since he has every right to access it as you do, by taking the money and putting it in an account in only your name, but otherwise your husband has to file the suit legally since he is the one with standing.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney