How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Applied assistance, elderly waiver father but the county we

Customer Question

Applied for medical assistance, elderly waiver for my father but the county we applied for didn't tell us that until we schedule a assessment screening our application wouldn't go back the 3 months to pay for my father's services in a memory care facility and because of this my father needs to pay privately for those 3 months but he doesn't have the money.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Are you able to negotiate with the care home for payment? Usually these homes are willing to negotiate as they take at least partial responsibility for the application process to get care in the first place - so delays that are incurred are partially their responsibility, therefore they are very willing to work with you.

If your father doesn't have the money, there is nothing they can do further to get it (you are not liable for your father's debts), so most of these homes will simply "charge it off" and if your father happens to 'win the lottery' or come into money they will collect at that point.