How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My lawyer is mishandling my case and not giving the proper

Customer Question

My lawyer is mishandling my case and not giving the proper attention. In his motions he confused the parties and named the other party defendant while they were plaintif, the other party lawyer filed a motion strike stating that my lawyer never returned his calls and that she is confusing the parties and asked for mechanical liens to be enforced and I almost lost my property. Fortunately the judge was very fair and ordered my lawyer to refile the answer within 3 weeks. Now I lost confidence on him and I don't know what to do. He doesn't know that I got a copy of the case from court and that I am aware of all these mistakes. Last week he advised me to do a voluntary dismissal which is just absurd since the mechanics lien was wrongfully filed by the contractor. I am running out of time I don't know what to do. I am worry that she might withdraw if I told her that she has been mishandling my case
Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.
I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not following you, so why did you answer then ?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.

The services that this website provides in legal category are limited to a general answer to customer legal question.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can't talk on the phone right now. Can you answer my question in a general way ?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Can you please state your legal question for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Judge ordered to file a valid answer to the contractor's mechanic's lien within 3 weeks, two weeks have passed already. should I tell my lawyer that she is mishandling my case ? what about if she withdraw from the case ? can I ask the judge for an extension ? keep in mind this case has been in court for almost 3 years now
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally if the person does not trust in his/her lawyer's competency or ability to adequately represent person's interest in a lawsuit, it is a good idea to hire a new lawyer who is competent and experienced in the area of law on which lawsuit is based and also experienced in civil litigation.

Generally, in most cases, when defendant fires his/her lawyer, the judge would give the defendant an extension to file a new counsel (usually not more than 30 days), however, each case is different and unique, so it would be a good idea to consult with a local attorney who can review your entire case and the entire court record, do provide you with specific legal advice that you are seeking.

Also, if the lawyer is not competent or is making many errors, then the client can file a formal complaint against the attorney with the state Bar association and also consult with the local legal malpractice attorney to determine if there might be claim against the current attorney for legal malpractice.

You can find an experienced and skilled local civil litigation attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to civil litigation, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't accept your answer, your answers are two vague and irrelevant. Sorry
If you can't answer a question due to some restrictions or legalities then you shouldn't answer it to start with .
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions?
Please keep in mind that you were informed about the fact that legal professionals such as myself can only provide general answers and you requested for me to provide such general answer and you should always consult with a local attorney if you are seeking any type of specific legal advice, since none of the legal professionals on this website are permitted to provide any type of legal advice or legal services to customers.