How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16629
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 15 yr. old Grandson () lives in MO with s mother and 2

Customer Question

Our 15 yr. old Grandson (Bradley) lives in MO with his mother and 2 younger siblings. She left our son (Gordon-Brad's dad) a couple of years ago in CO and divorced him after settling here in MO and has tried to make it as a single parent. None of us have seen Gordon since.
The past year has been a constant battle between Brad and his mother and he has refused to attend or put any effort into school.
We (my wife & I) can provide Brad with a good home environment and an excellent opportunity to focus on getting his HS education in Visalia, CA. We, his mother and Bradley all feel this move is the best opportunity available for Brad.
What forms or other legal maneuvers do we need to accomplish to make this happen? School starts in Visalia on Aug. 13th.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
Is your grandson't mother who has physical and legal custody of your grandson willing to allow him to relocate to reside with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just want to know if we need: Power of Attorney; Custody paper; or a Guardianship paper; and if we can just get the needed form(s) and have it(them) notarized or if we will have to involve a court.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

In order for the child to move out of state and to be enrolled in school, the parent with physical custody would have to grant Temporary Legal Guardianship to the grandparents and Petition for such Temporary Legal Guardianship would have to be filed in the family court local to where the custodial parent and minor child reside and the court would review the petition and if approved the judge would grant the Temporary Legal Guardianship.

It is important to note that such legal process can take 30 days or longer (depending on how busy local family court is) and also it would make sense to hire an experienced local child custody attorney to help with this legal process.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.