How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116710
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a contract cash, after fighting in court to stay in

Customer Question

I signed a contract cash for keys, after fighting in court to stay in my foreclosed home and pay a use and occupancy. They have not maintained the property and there neglegence has caused floods one which displaced my family for 10 days. Also a fire and just tons of neglect. I did not pay use and occupancy while I looked for an apartment. I have been turned down for financial reasons, at every place I have submitted an aplication. I am on the cityies housing list and have really done my due dilligence to try everything to meet the date, but I have had no success. Ive even had to file a discrimination complaint with agents from several apartment sites that refuse to show me properties or return calls. I have 3 children 1 is on the autism spectrum, and suffers very negetive behavioral setbacks with change. I wanted very much to fid an apartment in the beginning of sumer break to avoid to much change at once for him.How do I prove all my efforts and avoid eviction, or get an extension for more time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to hear you are faced with this. Once you signed that contract though, you have a major issue in that courts in MA enforce these contracts strictly and hold that if someone signs such a contract they are bound by it and intended to be bound by it. So you need to contact the bank and negotiate with them to get an extension and send the bank proof of your application for low income housing, to show you are pending an apartment.
You also need to call MA Catholic Social Services (regardless of your religion) as they can provide temporary assistance to families in situations such as yours:;si:2092921484608020835&rlha=0
Also contact the MA Department of Transitional Assistance:
These agencies can step in with the bank on your behalf to at least get you time for the agencies to help you get into another place and also help you with your children
I am afraid these are really your only options in this type of situation.