Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

XXXXXX, I am profoundly deaf, I mailed all the papers to

Customer Question

My name is***** am profoundly deaf, I mailed all the papers to Untied States District and Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Columbia last week but I received back to me today. the Judge ordered me to do required three checks on The word Complaint must appear under the caption, I Velia do not understand what does it means under the caption??
it says exactly words are Your complaint must set forth the facts of your case and indicate what kind of relief you seek from the Court, ( I will write down) The name of this Court must be written at the op of the first page. The complaint must appear under the caption.. All parties to the suit must be named in the caption. The use of et al is not permitted as the rules require you to name each defendant as well as an address to effect service.
this is the first check that i must do
Now second check that the Judge ordered: Your complaint must bear your original signature.
Third check again, Application to Proceed in Forma Pauperis must be completed and originally signed (Enclosed)
and also I Velia, the plaintiff does not under what is mean by saying Do not send papers Directly to any CHAMBERS?????
I am in Los Angeles, California at 90041, I am not a lawyer, but I need help thru legal aid or agency, thank you very much I do not make any more money
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
the Judge ordered me to do required three checks on The word Complaint must appear under the caption, I Velia do not understand what does it means under the caption??
The CAPTION is the information containing the parties and cause number and court that is involved. See here. That is the caption. Someone in your situation wants to be sure that your caption is correct.
Now under it, the word COMPLAINT is the "title" of the document. Where in the example the word INTRODUCTION is.
it says exactly words are Your complaint must set forth the facts of your case and indicate what kind of relief you seek from the Court, ( I will write down)
Okay, sounds like you understand.
The name of this Court must be written at the op of the first page. The complaint must appear under the caption.. All parties to the suit must be named in the caption.
See that example.
The use of et al is not permitted as the rules require you to name each defendant as well as an address to effect service.
You must list all the Defendants. You must also list the address that you served them at (in the complaint).
The whole document you are submitting - the complaint - must be signed by you. The signature must not be a stamp or a copy.
If you are asking to have the court waive filing fees, Forma pauperis is how this is done. It is a motion unto the court filed at time of filing the complaint itself. See here.
This means that the documents must not be sent to the Judge's Office (i.e. "Chambers" - that is what this is called). It must be filed properly with the Court. You can call the clerk to get the address, likely.
I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory/california.html
…and another list:
http://www.lawhelp.org
Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:
http://www.hg.org/law-schools-california.asp
Good luck!
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.