How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4828
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I belong to a statewide equestrian organization, California

Customer Question

Hello, I belong to a statewide equestrian organization, California State Horsemen Association (csha) & a president of another club within the organization repeatedly slanders me and "publishe" (livels) me . THIS goes back about 10 yrs ago when she was angry that I won all the awards at her particular horse show and she tried to bring animal cruelty charges against me ( because a couple of my horses did have a couple marks on their side after the competition). This went to the state(of the organization) level and I was found innocent. We were both told to go on about our business and " move on"...that was 9yrs ago..this particular woman has now for the past two years publicly tried to humiliate me posting stuff (untrue or skewed) to justify her stance. (Her stance being that she herself has "banned me" from attending "her" shows...CSHA states, "they are only a club in the organization and we can't control them," to which I replied that the "club " is being allowed to slander and libel me with what appears as CSHA authority, since they continue to hold a blind eye to it.
I know this sounds like a stupid and childish thing...which I feel it is...but it does hurt MY reputation since I am a (repeated)State Champion of CSHA.. ..and the horses are a side business I use to offset my competition expenses.
Any advice? I feel a letter to either or both csha and this "woman" to cease and desist would probably stop this ongoing's not necessarily the "club" members, many of them have approached me to apologize for her behavior stating that even if her allegations are true (most people have not been in csha as long as either if us)that they are upset with her use of the club forum to bash me.
This is a non-profit volunteer organization, and it really is sad that she has been unable to let go of her anger. I think Im more upset that CSHA does not step up to the plate and put and end to her using the organization via the club to hint some sort of authority.
Is there some sort of letter or something I can get to address this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

In order for someone to be guilty of defamation, you must prove that they made an untrue statement about you to other people (this can be in writing or verbally), and that it caused some damage to your reputation. Additionally, to bring suit, you need to prove some amount of damages, which usually means some loss business, contracts you didn't get because of the false rumors about you, etc. You can send a cease and desist letter (which you can find here) to her, and it may do some good, but you have to be willing to follow through with your threats to make the letter meaningful. Simply sending the letter with no intention to follow through may embolden her.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

But, nevertheless, a letter is a good place to start. It shows that you are taking this seriously.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. if not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.