How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if the ppa Violation was more than 6 months ago?

Customer Question

What if the Hippa Violation was more than 6 months ago?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no private right to sue or take action under HIPAA. The person complaining of a HIPAA violation's only recourse is reporting the violation to the US Department of Health and Human Services and they have the sole enforcement authority under HIPAA. A HIPAA complaint must be filed with them within 180 days of the alleged violation or no HIPAA violation can be pursued.
Just because no HIPAA violation could be pursued, it does not mean you could not sue under the "Breach of Confidentiality of Medical Records" state laws, which have a 2 year statute of limitations for suit in the Texas state courts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.