Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

What is a settlement agreement? Between my union and the

Customer Question

What is a settlement agreement?
Between my union and the school I was working at DEPT OF DEFENSE EDUC ACTIVITY.
THE AGENCY HAS AN EEOC COMPLAINT FiLED AGAINST ME oNE yeR AG0 Well a little more than inJune of las year.
Several people did not tell the truth including the principal and information was used violating a service agreement that was in place. The agency is saying that I could not file it because of the settlement agreement , but I am using information after the agreement.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A settlement agreement is considered some deal between the parties that neither side is 100% happy with, but that both sides can live with. It is a compromise that is negotiated by the parties to a dispute and it is entered into like a contract. Once signed, the settlement agreement would be a binding contractual agreement between the parties that has to be honored.
Even if the information is from after the agreement, if this pertains to the issues that were the subject of the settlement agreement, you are precluded from using it and they are correct. If this information has to do with some other matter not subject to the issues in the settlement agreement, then you could file it.