Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have a person that wrote this "If you agree to a $500

Customer Question

Hi
I have a person that wrote this "If you agree to a $500 refund I won’t write a review and I won’t go into Airbnb corporate headquarters today to file a legal claim involving your properties" after I refused to refund monies to him for cutting a stay short at our vacation rental
We live and breath on reviews and we have a 5 star ratinghe is threatening our livelihood and it holds weight because he is a high ranking political person
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. Can you please tell me what information I can provide for you? What is the question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a high seated politician that has threatened via email and I quote "If you agree to a $500 refund I won’t write a review and I won’t go into Airbnb corporate headquarters today to file a legal claim involving your properties" This is in response to our denial of his refund request when he voluntarily cut a stay short at our vacation rental to get closer accommodations. He is threatening our livelihood and it carries the weight of his political position behind it. I don't appreciate this kind of extortion, but is it actionable extortion?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Hello

I am sorry to hear of this nature. It is extortion. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Now, if you have written evidence that this "politician" is threatening you like this, you can bring it to the local police and tell them you feel threatened because the refund is not due. The politician should bring the matter to a civil action in small claims, if they are not satisfied. And I suggest you could file extortion charges.