Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My father in law has 3 acres of land in Montara, Ca. He has

Customer Question
my father in law has...
my father in law has 3 acres of land in Montara, Ca. He has let some people out of the goodness of his heart to park their vehicles on the property. They have now moved into the Rv's and 5 adults are now on the property. They have hooked up everything and my fatherinlaw told them to do their wash at the laundry mat. One of the gentlemen told my father in law they could do anything because they paid. They did pay my inlaw as a deposit for allowing the vehicles. THere is no contract. they are abusing my father in law's good nature. How many days do I need to get them off of the property? should we call the cops about the altercation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/7/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Depending on how long they have been living there, the proper notice can be 30 days (less then 12 months) or 60 days (more than 12 months).

If they are violating the terms of the lease agreement (using the pad for washing, etc.) a "3 day notice to cure or quit" can be issued. (A good trick is to issue both the 3 day and the 30 day (or 60 day) at the same time - what this does is it gives the tenant 3 days notice to stop violating the lease terms (so they must stop breaking the lease within 3 days or face immediate eviction), but it also terminates the lease within the 30 days (or 60 days)).

The California Attorney General probably has the best guide to Landlord/Tenant information in California: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

If these individuals fail to leave, you can use the unlawful detainer ("eviction") process to force them to leave, the California Courts have an excellent website to assist you (complete with all necessary forms): http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-eviction.htm

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney