How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father in law has 3 acres of land in Montara, Ca. He has

Customer Question

my father in law has 3 acres of land in Montara, Ca. He has let some people out of the goodness of his heart to park their vehicles on the property. They have now moved into the Rv's and 5 adults are now on the property. They have hooked up everything and my fatherinlaw told them to do their wash at the laundry mat. One of the gentlemen told my father in law they could do anything because they paid. They did pay my inlaw as a deposit for allowing the vehicles. THere is no contract. they are abusing my father in law's good nature. How many days do I need to get them off of the property? should we call the cops about the altercation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Depending on how long they have been living there, the proper notice can be 30 days (less then 12 months) or 60 days (more than 12 months).

If they are violating the terms of the lease agreement (using the pad for washing, etc.) a "3 day notice to cure or quit" can be issued. (A good trick is to issue both the 3 day and the 30 day (or 60 day) at the same time - what this does is it gives the tenant 3 days notice to stop violating the lease terms (so they must stop breaking the lease within 3 days or face immediate eviction), but it also terminates the lease within the 30 days (or 60 days)).

The California Attorney General probably has the best guide to Landlord/Tenant information in California:

If these individuals fail to leave, you can use the unlawful detainer ("eviction") process to force them to leave, the California Courts have an excellent website to assist you (complete with all necessary forms):