How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He keeps talking about getting married since I moved in with

Customer Question

He keeps talking about getting married since I moved in with him and still has not happened. He introduces me as his wife to everyone. Can he still evict me from the house since I sold my house and have no place to go. I honestly do not know how he will
react while confronting him with a separation. I would like this on record in case something happens. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

What state are you living in, please, so I can provide accurate information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.


Thank you. CA does not recognize what is called "common law" marriage. So it does not matter if he introduces you as his "wife" Unfortunately when it comes down to any court action that is insignificant.

If it is his house, yes, he can have you evicted. If you tell him you want to move out, I suggest you first have a plan. Have a date in mind. Tell him what that date is and try stick to it.

But he cannot just kick you out, or anything like change locks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you read the first conversations under***@******.***. I am at my brother's house for a few days and will need to go home soon. I do not know what to respect when I get there, he has been very abusive verbally. All the contents from my house is in his house. I'm concerned.........
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.


You can get your personal belongings. I suggest that if you want to separate, you have a plan - a place to go and a date when you will be leaving. And that you consider not telling him you are leaving until it is time if you are concerned he will harm you.