Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ok. I am 45. I was legally adopted by mothers second

Customer Question
husband. the problem 1: i...
ok. I am 45. I was legally adopted by mothers second husband. the problem 1: i was conceived through an affair that my mother had with first husband. problem 2: I know who the man is, but he will not acknowledge me. problem 3: I am missing one complete side of family medical, mental history due to problems 1 and 2. is there any solution to this? need to know, and my son is showing signs of ADHD. one of the questions that they ask you at the doctors office is Do you have any family history of______? fill in the blanks yes or no.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
8/6/2015
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. A lot of adopted and otherwise "abandoned" children (under the Safe Haven law, for example) do not have legal access to these medical histories. And even if there was initially a right for you to seek it, unfortunately there is no "right" to seek this information at this time. Ohio law (Ohio statute 3111.05) lays out the Statute of limitations for seeking information on the father: An action to determine the existence or nonexistence of the father and child relationship may not be brought later than five years after the child reaches the age of eighteen. " In other words, at age 23 it becomes too late to force him by law to do this. As such you can either write "no" (as you're answering the questionaire to the best of your ability) or write in the margins that you don't have any information from your father's side.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney