How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102347
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a garnishment against me I paid the garnishment in

Customer Question

I had a garnishment against me I paid the garnishment in full 2 weeks ago they still have a hold on my checking and are still pulling money out of pay check I've tried calling them they refuse to talk to me how do I get them to release my checking and stop pulling money out of my pay check?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this. What someone in your situation has to do is to file a motion asking the court to order the stop of a any garnishment/levy and a recognition of satisfaction of judgment. Then one has to serve the other party and hold a hearing on the matter. The Court can then recognize a satisfaction of judgment, stop any garnishment/levy, and order return of any overpayment.
This is commonly called a motion to compel satisfaction of judgment. However, it may be something different depending on one's jurisdiction. An example of such a pleading may be found at one's local law library.
If you need help finding a pro bono/low cost attorney in NB, let me know, and I can possibly provide some leads.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.