How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116757
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small waterworks company with 67 homes. It is in

Customer Question

I have a small waterworks company with 67 homes. It is in Westchester county ny (a bedroom for nyc). I use Robert Half, a large employee, firm to provide office people. Albany PSC want us to hire at a low price that we can not.
If the company does not pay bills and end up under a federal bankruptcy judge. Can the judge increase water rates?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The PSC actually is the only one that can raise rates legally. Under the separation of powers, the court does not have the power to overrule the PSC's rates. So, the PSC knows that nobody can force them to change their rates, but they can force companies doing business under their regulation to use different hiring and cut wages or not be able to survive in the marketplace. So, yes, the PSC has more say in this type of situation than you think, as you do have the option they will tell you to hire direct and pay lower wages with less benefits (it is laughable that government keeps trying to make employers pay higher minimum wage on one hand and then try to make them cut wages on the other).