How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27752
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently left the United Arab Emirates when my contract

Customer Question

I recently left the United Arab Emirates when my contract there ended unexpectedly. I have a loan with a bank there. In the UAE, debt is a criminal matter, not a civil matter. It was not an option to negotiate with the bank there before I left, as they would have demanded full payment immediately and enforced a travel ban. My question is how can I resolve this issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
This question involves the law of the UAE. You need to retain a UAE lawyer and see what he can work out for you, if you have been criminally charged already, if payment is still an option, and if he can negotiate a payment schedule with the bank to prevent you from being charged.
The US embassy has a list of lawyers to whom they refer business when they are contacted by those in need of counsel. That's a starting place for you.
Alternatively, here's a link to a well known international lawyer referral service, and you can contact a lawyer through them: