How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42317
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ray,it appears that most of the options are "upon

Customer Question

ray,it appears that most of the options are "upon death",what if I need to sell my home?
cant seem to find an option that works.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome back to JA. Ray here to help.You can sell the properties and pay off the loans.If you want to shelter the funds then you may looks at a medicaid qualifying annuity .This is a short term annuity that allows you to receive payments over a year or two that are then exempt as a resource.The risk here is that if you die during the period medicaid gets the payments.

But the reward is that the funds you receive from the annuity are then exempt from medicaid.


You may also spend down any funds you receive from the house sale to prepay your funeral , medical bills ,care ,etc and then you would be eligible for medicaid once the funds are spent down or sheltered.

But you can sell the properties here and then try to shelter the funds here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight again.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.