Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

We live in a small community where our city does not have a

Customer Question

We live in a small community where our city hall does not have a way to get into the building if you are useing a wheel chair. To pay your water bill you must knock on the window and have someone come out to get it. Is there any thing we can do about this situation
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Is there handicapped ramp?
Are you handicapped and require an automatic door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a side walk with a small ramp to get onto the walk way at the end of the building, no I am not handicapped but my friend is.
Thank you for your follow up.
Generally, the federal law only requires state and local government to provide reasonable accommodations for the handicapped, however, unless the town is so small, that it can show that it simply does not have a budget to pay for an automatic door opener device, such accommodations would be considered reasonable and a handicapped person would need to request it in writing from the city hall and if the city hall fails to install the automatic door opener within reasonable time, then a formal complaint can be filed with the US Department of Justice under the Americans with Disabilities Act at the link below:
http://www.ada.gov/filing_complaint.htm
I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.