How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28366
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roommate stole my and owes me electric bill. Is there

Customer Question

My roommate stole my bong and owes me for the electric bill. Is there anyway I could get my money through court? Because I have attempted and he keeps giving me the run around
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have talked to him but he either doesn't respond or just says he doesn't know where it went
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon. Yes, it is possible to proceed through the court to get relief/damages. Depending on the amount, you can likely proceed through small claims court and seek the money for the electric bill. You would need to convince the Judge that there was an agreement to share in the cost and to repay you and that they have failed to do so. Now, the issue with the bong is a little more touchy, since you are asking the Judge to award you damages for his taking drug paraphernalia. If you can convince the Judge it was a water pipe for tobacco, you may have a better case but may want to take the loss on that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could I say it was a pipe, then will I have a better case
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

It would make it a lot better. It is never good to ask a judge to award you damages for something which is illegal in the first place, which he/she would not likely do in the first place

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the amount that needs to be met to file in small claims court
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because he owes me $156 for the bill and the bong was $80 so all together it's $236
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

you can file a lawsuit in small claims court for up to $5500. As such, you would be fine

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will it cost to file or appear in court?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.

There is a fee for filing a small claims case. The cost of filing the lawsuit with the small claims division of the district court is $25 for claims up to $600, $45 for claims over $600 up to $1,750, and $65 for claims over $1,750 up to $5,500. The plaintiff is responsible for paying the filing fee and other required fees or costs (postage costs or fees for serving the claim on the defendant). The amount of the fees can be included as part of the judgment against the defendant (the person you are suing) if the judge decides in your favor.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!