How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29791
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently cosigned person contract year apartment rental...

Customer Question

I recently cosigned for a person for a contract for one year apartment rental... She skipped out on me and I am making payments of 440 dollars a month till this apartment is rented what is my legal way of getting out of this mess if I go to court will my credit rating go bad because of me going to get up of paying this monthly payment
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
The only legal way to get out of paying for the lease is to find a subtenant that is willing to take over. Otherwise, the landlord has a right to send you to collections or sue if you don't pay, which means it will bring down your credit. Look at the lease to see if there are any other circumstances where you could cancel without being liable for the rent.
You also have a right to sue the other party for the money you spent because she broke the promise she made you.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your response. Do you have any questions about the information I gave you?
If not, Customer Service can assist with any account-related questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer I want to opt out and close my account immediately and pay $15
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Please contact customer service to discuss your account. That's unfortunately not something experts are able to help with.
The way to close the question and leave a payment is to leave a positive rating.