Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Would like to re my neighbor who is a retired building

Customer Question

Would like to hire my neighbor who is a retired building contractor to install a new roof for me. I'm not worried about the quality of the work or him completing the work. My question pertains to him getting hurt on the job and what my liability is and how can I minimize my liability.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
Yes, you will be responsible for any and all injuries to anyone who comes onto your property. It does not matter if they are doing work for you or not. I suggest, you can have him sign a waiver that says you will not be responsible.
However, that would not hold up in court if it can be shown that you contributed to the injury via any negligence on your part. And in CT, the case for an injury will be determined by the amount of negligence to both.
For instance, if he forces himself to fall from the roof your liability is limited, because you did nothing to contribute to the injury. If however, you are holding a ladder and as he is declining let go or push it aside, then your negligence contributed to the injury.
Connecticut has adopted the doctrine of modified comparative negligence.
Under this doctrine, a claimant’s action is barred if his negligence exceeds the combined negligence of all defendants. Otherwise, the claimant’s recovery is diminished in proportion to his degree of negligence.
You can read more on this statute at this link
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap925.htm#Sec52-572h.htm
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.
Thank you