How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118670
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The FBI has just mandated animal abuse to be classified as a

Customer Question

The FBI has just mandated animal abuse to be classified as a grade A felony. I'm on the executive council at Peta and would like them to close the Cole Brothers circus immediately. They have a history of heinous animal abuse, especially with the elephants, and are scheduled to perform this Monday-Wednesday in Shinnecock Hills. I live in Sag Harbor, a neighboring town; both areas are part of the Hamptons. I read a "grade A" is comparable to homicide and kidnapping. There is growing unrest in the area. Many people do not want them to perform here. There are planned demonstrations of protest and there might be violence.
Can one of the lawyers prevent them from coming here, close them down, and assist in their prosecution?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site.
Also, as you are alleging criminal charges, you need to notify the US Attorney's office and the FBI and it is up to them to get involved and shut them down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so very much for your honesty. I would have welcomed your representation, but it seems that the state forbids it.
I'm getting the feeling the state has too much power. Perhaps it can override the FBI's law. I'll have to do some research.
I'll have to remind myself that when it comes to animal abuse, there is a Higher law!
With much respect,
Donna Roitstein
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
The state cannot override federal laws. So you need to get your complaint filed with the FBI and US Attorney's Office to have them pursue the case you are claiming, since it has been deemed a federal felony.