How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42232
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found out I have an outstanding debt to a company while checking

Customer Question

I found out I have an outstanding debt to a company while checking my credit. This seemed strange to me since I have never received an invoice or notice attempting to collect. When I contacted the company they stated that they had attempted to contact me multiple times before filing though I am almost positive they didn't. When I asked them how they had attempted to contact me they gave me a phone number that was not mine - I made the receptionist look up my information though and they do have my correct number on record. Also, this is a debt from two years ago and it surprises me they are just getting around to it now. Frankly, I cant even remember receiving a service from this company. I was wondering if I had any legal action that I could take against this company since they have hurt my credit. I just don't think it makes any sense that a company can all of a sudden file a debt against you two years after the fact and w/o any due diligence on their part to contact me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today. You have the right here to ask for detailed bill or record of services.It is possible they are billing you for services that aren't yours.You should follow up the phone call with written inquiry setting out your request and the bad information they have here and cc the credit bureau.Certainly if this turns out to be invalid you can force them to remove it and update the credit bureau. You owe the debt only if they can show you a bill and what you got and when here, etc.Until they do that you have good reason to be skeptical.It is all too common for creditors to do t his in mass.You are lucky here you found out and can seek more information and correction if you do not owe the money. If this is credit card Colorado has a six year statute of limitations--reference to that.. Your rights here under Federal law.. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are through it is always much appreciated.Take care now and thanks.