How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband never paid his taxes and I signed the irs documents

Customer Question

My husband never paid his taxes and I signed the irs documents without knowing that he never filed. I am Swiss and didn't know about american taxes. I fought to get a spouse relief and lost some years since my husband didn't file again. Today we are divorcing since the Irs threatened me for not paying and I can't do anything since i'm back in my country. I had to leave the Us because my husband asked me to do so. I am punished for something I had no control over. My question is the the following : will I be able to go back to the Us one day and live there ?
My husband is trying to have an agreement with the Irs and his laywer told him it would be easier if he divorced. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Your husband's issues with the IRS will not prevent you from relocating back to the US in the future.
Your husband did not have the legal right to force you to leave the country and you may return at any time so long as your residence/visa documents are in order.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,