Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My girlfriend co-signed on an auto loan daughter who

Customer Question

my girlfriend co-signed on an auto loan for her daughter who is in her 30s. The daughter is behind on her payments and the loan company is harrassing my girlfriend for the money. They apparently are having trouble reaching the daughter. Through legal action, is there any way my glfriend can get them to stop bothering her?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Short of paying the loan, I'm sorry to say, there is nothing your girlfriend can do to get them to leave her alone. When she co-signed on the loan, she promised to pay if your daughter didn't. That means they have a right to contact her to get the money.
With third party debt collectors, there's a legal right to send a notice insisting that they cease telephone calls. But that unfortunately doesn't apply when it's the original creditor whose calling. And if it did, that means they'd simply file a lawsuit for the money owed.
She could try working with the loan company to help them repossess the car. Or she could talk to your daughter about making the payments. Those are the only options other than paying the loan.
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's what I was thinking, but now that's my suspicions have been confirmed by an expert (you) I will pass along the info and let her deal with it from this point forward.
I'm glad I could help. Have a good weekend.