Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My boyfriend and I lived together 12years he passed away with

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I lived together 12years he passed away with bone cancer 06/14, we were common law married in the state of Texas ,moved from Mississippi during hurricane Katrina,could you tell me if I can receive survivor benefits or any benefits at all...he served in Vietnam.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. I can't tell you what benefits you can receive because that requires a more in depth interview than we can do on here but I can discuss how the common law marriage issue fits into collecting whatever benefits his wife would be entitled to if that is what you are asking.