Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I bought a new car in GA and the dealership said I would have

Customer Question

I bought a new car in GA and the dealership said I would have no problem
registering it in Colorado because I maintain my Colorado drivers license so that
CO is my legal address.
I was planning on leaving the car here for awhile and using it here. I spend part of
my year here. It turns out I have to drive or ship the car to Colorado in order to
register it. If I had known that I would have bought the car in Colorado and driven
it here. It will cost me over $2,000 to ship it both ways now. It is too difficult for me
to drive it myself. I'm 68 and its too much of a drive. Is the dealership liable
in anyway for misleading me and telling me it was not a problem?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question. I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. Do you have anything in writing from the dealership stating that you would be able to register the purchased vehicle in Colorado without having to move the vehicle there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No- they just gave me the paperwork.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't know someone would contact me right away. I can be contacted by phone for the
next 30 minutes but then I would have to talk or email tomorrow after 8AM EST
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
Thank you for your follow up. Unfortunately, generally, unless the dealership made written assurances that a vehicle purchased from their dealership in GA could be registered in Colorado, without the vehicle being required to be present in Colorado, it would be up to the consumer to research such registration issue prior to the purchase and unfortunately, there would generally not be any legal recourse against the dealer in a similar situation. I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.