How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was applying full time inspectress as 27 yrs.

Customer Question

I was applying for a full time inspectress as 27 yrs. inservice and works at Kingkam Hotel
in kaiulua kona,HI. Last Tuesday I was interviewd with our Asst.General Manager and he
was so mean to me in front of the Human resources managers. His words against me was
very intimidating fearful and threathining. And I didn't even say anything except that I have
been working longer and top seniority. But he said he didn't like me and he won't let me
take the full time position.But he had no rights to criticized or said bad words against me.
I was insulted, intimidated with his behavior. His name is***** very mean man.
Thank you, ***** ***** email XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You do understand that under Hawaii law, employment is at will and being "mean" to an employee is not something that is covered by the law and gives and employee any protection? In order to have protection, you have to prove that the only reason he did this to you is based solely on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. If you can prove this, then you have to file a complaint with the EEOC,, and they have to investigate and grant you a right to sue letter before you could sue in court.
So, if you believe that you were treated this way based on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, then you need to get that complaint filed with the EEOC as you only have 180 days to file your complaint to preserve your rights.