How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1575
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son sold a car that was titled in to me. The car was registered

Customer Question

My son sold a car that was titled in to me. The car was registered in MN but sold in CA. The title was signed and sent to the MN DMV. The car was an '89 Suburu with 200,000 miles so not worth much. The buyer paid cash. We were contacted by CHIPS about a month ago because the car was involved in a hit and run accident. We told them that the car was sold and have heard no more from them. Yesterday we received a citation for a parking violation. I went online to pay the citation and discovered that there were 3 more citations. This all happened in one month. My son does not have the name of the buyer who obviously didn't register the car in CA. What are our options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 years ago.
You need to file a Notice of Release of Liability form with the DMV immediately. See CA Notice of Release of Liability. This would stop your liability for anything involving the car from AFTER the date you file. You can still be liable for tickets or anything that happened with the car prior to you filing this notice with DMV. You should also contact the Minnesota DMV and notify them of the transfer of sale too. That way they can remove your name from the registration. I hope that this has been helpful. Please provide positive feedback!