Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

While waiting in a crowded waiting room at a hospital today,

Customer Question

While waiting in a crowded waiting room at a hospital today, an employee came and asked me if I had had other procedures that day. When I said yes,I was asked what I had had done. Although I was uncomfortable announcing in front of other patients, I gave her the info she requested. Is asking me in front of others a hiipa violation?
Also, while waiting for the next procedure, I went to the desk as I suspected my order for lab work had been lost, where I found my report for the previous procedure. While waiting for someone to speak to I started to read the report. When someone showed up, they grabbed the report and told me I had no right to read the report just because it had my name on it. That was a hiipa issue. I told her she shouldn't have had it laying on the edge of the desk where anyone could see my report. I believe that is a violation of my privacy rights. Am I right?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Asking you in front of others really isn't a HIPAA violation since you could have chosen not to discuss it there. By doing so you impliedly gave permission. However, leaving the report in an open, unsecured area visible to the public would be considered a HIPAA violation.