Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

OKay. So, my friend has been in an online relationship for

Customer Question
about half a year now...
OKay. So, my friend has been in an online relationship for about half a year now. At least she was, until her significant other's parents banned them from seeing each other. Not only that, they threatened to file a sex offender charge. Thing is, the two are only a couple years apart, 13 (almost 14) and 15. I know that to some, online relationships aren't that serious but my friend and her other are suffering because of this and are self-harming and falling deep into depression. My question is, can their parents actually do anything, and can we do anything to them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/30/2015
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation.
What state are they located in? Have they had any physical interactions? Do you know if they've engaged in cybersex, engaged nude photographs, or anything like that?
My friend is located in Alabama, Tuscaloosa, USA. Their other is actually in Europe, all the way in the Netherlands. They've never interacted physically, but they have "engaged in cybersex" and I'm not aware if they ever sent each other nudes.
Thank you.
I'm afraid I don't know what the laws are in the Netherlands, so I'm going to opt out and open this up to the other experts. There is no need to reply, as that can cause delays.
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a different contributor.
If your friend is in the US and the other party is in the Netherlands, neither the US nor the Netherlands has a law prohibiting cybersex and as they are both minors they did not break any laws UNLESS they sent nude pictures. Nude pictures is considered child pornography as they are both minors and he could be charged in the US for that and she could be charged in the Netherlands as well if she sent nude pictures.
Nude images even sent consensually of minors is considered child pornography and can get both of them up to 10 years in prison. However, talking about sex (cybersex) would not be illegal.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney