Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I hire a lawyer who filed a lawsuit on june 2014 which was

Customer Question

i hire a lawyer who filed a lawsuit on june 2014
which was within the statute of limitation however
he file it in the wrong court . i got another lawyer
who has not file a new lawsuit so far. the statute
of limitation on the old lawsuit ends in sept 2015
when does my statute of limitation end in new york city civil court
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
I don't think I fully udnerstand your question. You say that the statute runs in September of 2015, but you ask when a different statute runs? Are there two different incidents that you are filing suit over, or is all of this one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dear *****
the first lawsuit statute of limitation ends sept 2015 the seond law suit has not been filed correct me if i am wrong the first lawsuit should be cancel . the second
lawsuit should be filed before sept 2015 thereby the filing of the second lawsuit
would be on time within the statute of limitation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am waiting for your response
If the two lawsuits arise out of the same episode of events, they have the same statute of limitations. The statute of limitations just means that suit must be filed by a certain time after the events that gave rise to the lawsuit took place. For example, suppose you went in for surgery and the doctor amputated the wrong foot - a clear case of medical malpractice. The statute of limitations would begin to run at the time of the surgery. It doesn't matter if a lawsuit was filed in the wrong court, or what the delay is, so long as it was ultimately filed in the correct court within the statute of limitations. If your first lawyer failed to do this and filed in the wrong court, and now it is too late for you to file a new suit, you can sue him for malpractice.
I hope I'm understanding your situation correctly. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.