How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who wants to file divorce and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a friend who wants to file for a divorce and doesn't know where to start. What is the quickest and cheapest way to do so? The marriage lasted 7yrs during which the husband received citizenship. He is currently out of the country and she doesn't
know when he will return. . How do you file w/o one person present?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Please tell me what state is your friend wanting to file for a divorce?Does she know how to locate the husband? Is he willing to consent to a divorce?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are nj, she can locate him but he doesn't know about the divorce yet. And can you file w/o his concent?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you. I suggest that if she can find him, she present the uncontested divorce option to him. If he does not agree, then she can file based on a mutual separation and irreconcilable differencesIt will be easier, of course for her to have an uncontested divorce. But if not, and she cannot locate him there are options for her to file and have him served by Publication.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. What is the cheapest option to go as she doesn't have a lot of funds.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
I suggest she can contact the clerk of the court and request the packet of documents to file an Uncontested Divorce.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
If he will not agree, then she will need to file for a divorce based on the separation and irreconcilable differences. That does not need his consent. But she will need to serve him those documents and he can appear in court and oppose the divorce
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
She can get the forms to file from the Clerk of the Court in the county where she or he live.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Sam! I will pass all that on. Have a fantastic day!
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HelloYou're welcome. You can post here if you have follow ups. In the meantime, please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you