How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4079
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do my fiance and i get married while hes incarcerated in

Customer Question

How do my fiance and i get married while hes incarcerated in a county jail? Hes been sentenced to 10 months federal time but will have to remain in county till either his state charges are dismissed or the bond gets paid.
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
Can you tell me which state you are in. The laws differ by state.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
South carolina and he is in spartanburg county detention center and will be transfered to the bureau of prisons once his bond is paid or his state charges get dimissed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But we are trying to get married before he gets sent to the feds so that i can visit him
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
OKAY. Thanks. Do you already have a marriage license?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No but i could get one and have him sign it and notorize it from the jail
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Getting the license is the most important step. You will need the facilities approval to get it.
The courts have determined that marriage is a fundamental right that can not be denied to those who are incarcerated.
See this article:
But some facilities make it more difficult.
If you do not have a marriage license it is more complicated. Generally, the probate courts in SC require both individuals to appear to apply for the license. Of course this is not possible.
So you must petition the County Court to issue the license without his presence. Some counties will allow this. For example, Dorchester County will issue an inmates license.
You will need to go in person to the County Probate Court Clerk's office with all of his pertinent information. You will also need a letter from the facility in which he is presently incarcerated stating that they consent to such marriage. You have to also present his photo ID and inmate number, as well as his social security number, date of birth, address, and the number of this marriage if there have been previous marriages.
A license issued in any county is good through out SC. So if going to Dorchester is possible call their office.
Clearly, the first step is getting the OKAY from the facility. So start with the Superintendent's Office of the County JAil.
I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck,
Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.