Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Just received a bill rendered over a year ago.

Customer Question

Just received a bill for services rendered over a year ago. Do I have to pay it?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
Was there a written contract for the underlying obligation?
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
The statute of limitations in NY for oral or written contracts is 6 years. So, as a legal matter, they can sue you until that 6 yr period expires whether they invoice you or not.
They would still have the burden of proving the validity of the obligation, but not invoicing you for a year is not, in and of itself a defense to the obligation.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive.  Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part.   As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.