How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Briarcliff767 Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3644
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Briarcliff767 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend in New York who I'm inviting to

Customer Question

Hello ,
I have a friend in New York who I'm inviting to visit me in Honolulu. However she is afraid to travel from nyc to Honolulu because the only type of ID she has is a valid European Union passport with expired visa. is it safe for her to travel and not be stopped by TSA who might call customs?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Briarcliff767 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today!
The TSA understands that passengers identification expires and will accept that. They however do not call customs. They only check for violations of the TSA which identification is not a violation. They are their for the protection of the planes and the items in luggage being allowed.
Your friend needs not to worry .
Please let me know if you have further questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Please assign another "expert" as the answer I got was unacceptable. Firstly she misunderstood my question, secondly she said that TSA would accept an expired ID, which I find really difficult to believe.
Expert:  Briarcliff767 replied 1 year ago.


No other expert will respond in any different way. I have been helping customers for over 8 years and know the rules and regulations.

It is safe for her to travel and yes the TSA does accept expired identification they will only require her to answer more identifying questions .

That is why no other expert has responded because they can not come into a questions and tell you the same thing I have.

But if you would like to verify this you can contact the TSA directly at 1(###) ###-####/p>


Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hope, you are saying that an expired ID is not a violation and that's understandable, however that was not my question. I asked whether a VALID passport with an expired visa, is a problem. Obviously an expired visa puts the person in violation of immigration law. TSA could easily report her if they wanted to.

Expert:  Briarcliff767 replied 1 year ago.
What is your friend in the country on ? Is it school ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Came as a tourist and stayed for much longer than her visa allowed.

Expert:  Briarcliff767 replied 1 year ago.
Since it is a domestic flight she doesn't need to show a visa! Just identification does she have an id of any kind to use she can use that or the passport
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Of course she does not need to show a visa!!!! :( The question was whether she could get in trouble since her passport has an expired visa, therefore she in violation of US immigration law. She has no other ID to show on the domestic flight.