Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

This is not a family law question. it is civil litigation

Customer Question
regarding calif. code of civil...
this is not a family law question. it is civil litigation regarding calif. code of civil procedure 47(b) privilege re litigation, where privilege does not apply in cases of malicious prosecution or perjury by party claiming right to privilege
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/26/2015
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
What is your question regarding privileged publications?
Unfortunately, the privilege applies to claims of perjury...as the California courts have stated in Rickley v. Goodfriend, "The litigation privilege ... serves broad goals of guaranteeing access to the judicial process, promoting the zealous representation by counsel of their clients, and reinforcing the traditional function of the trial as the engine for the determination of truth. Applying the litigation privilege to some forms of unlawful litigation-related activity may advance those broad goals notwithstanding the ‘occasional unfair result’ in an individual case.... [T]he litigation privilege applies to subornation of perjury because ‘it is in the nature of a statutory privilege that it must deny a civil recovery for immediate wrongs—sometimes even serious and troubling ones—in order to accomplish what the Legislature perceives as a greater good.’"
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney