How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12363
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the registered owner of a motor vehicle that in the possession

Customer Question

I am the registered owner of a motor vehicle that in the possession of another individual. I have obtained a court order ordering him to surrender the vehicle to me but he refuses. What can I do to have this court order enforced by the courts? Isn't he in contempt of court and now considered to have stolen the vehicle and can I now report it stolen with my local police department?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. It's possible that the police will try to help, but it is not technically theft. Theft occurs when a person unlawfully takes another person's property. In this case, the taking of the car wasn't unlawful (at least you didn't mention it). However, you are correct that the person should be found to be in contempt of court. If I were in your shoes, I would file a motion in the case requesting that the judge find him in contempt. There will have to be a hearing, and the judge will ask the defendant why he has not complied with the court order. Unless the defendant has an extraordinary excuse, he should be found to be in contempt. Once the judge finds him to be in contempt, the judge has several options available, such as fines and even jail time.Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.