Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Do I have a legal right to go after a stewardess

Customer Question
for kicking me off an...
Do I have a legal right to go after a stewardess for kicking me off an airplane when I was in the process of bugkrlimg in, when she stated I needed two seats. I was Ina wheelchair flying standby and wamy husband and I were the last ones on the plane - she saw me as I was getting out of the chair and said "oh no". This was the last flight, we we're flying no-rev and never created any problems. Everyone cheered when we finally made it. I have been so traumatized by this, that it has made me physically ill with vomiting and diarrhea. I did comment in the size of the seats by saying they are always so small - the guy sitting on the isle seat was sitting spread eagle and did not want to even move - I looked at him several times and he finally got up when I said maybe I need to go to the back of the plane. I always raise the arms to get the right seat belt -and because they were in a hurry to push back I struggled a little with my seatbelt- tried to fasten quickly - stowed my purse and water and was just reaching for the arm on the left side of me when the stewardess called to me and said there had been a complaint and I needed to follow her. By the time I got to the front of the plane they already had the wheelchair waiting and whisked me off the plane - my husband followed and they put two other passengers in our place. He was furious - I didn't know really what was happening or why until we got to the CS desk where they said the complaint was that I needed two seats. I may be bigger , but have never in all my years of flying even asked for an extender. I have been so traumatized by this event I don't even want to go out in public. I am deathly afraid of flying now fir fear I will get kicked off again. What can I do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/24/2015
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I am sorry to hear you have been treated this way. I suggest you consider the following:Contacting the airlines corporate office and filing a complaint.Find a local therapist/counselor to talk with about your emotional and mental distress if you want more from the airlines then say $5000.Contact a local attorney who can make the complaint for you. Many times, a letter or a phone call from an attorney will bring better results for you.If you do not want to contact the attorney or have a therapist verify the trauma you have suffered from this experience, then I suggest you make the complaint. The airline will come back with an offer for free trips or at a discounted rate. It will be up to you to tell them that is not satisfactory for the humiliation and the emotional trauma you have suffered. They will ask you what you want/what you feel is fair and you can tell them a figure amount that you feel is reasonable. Then the negations will begin.However, I suggest, if you decide to consult with a local attorney, they will take the matter on a contingency basis and will work to negotiate for more
Sam, Attorney at Law