How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If there has been deliberate sabotage in a construction site

Customer Question

If there has been deliberate sabotage in a construction site on HVAC equipment, what is the first step to take in terms of finding the culprit and seek damages? Would it be to call the police and file a report?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Contact the police department (their non-emergency line) they can help you with filing the police report and pursue criminal prosecution of the person responsible.In most instances you will also want to file a claim with your insurance carrier (while the individual that did the damage is ultimately responsible, it usually takes much longer than most plaintiffs are willing to wait (and recovery is uncertain as collection can be difficult, especially if the person is indigent), so filing an insurance claim to get reimbursement right away is usually a good idea - but it is a business judgment decision (if the cost of repair is less than any anticipated bump in insurance premium, it may be better to pay for the damage yourself and file suit against the defendant, but if it is a lot of damage, filing a claim makes a lot more sense).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If another party deliberately tampered with equipment that I have installed and is no claiming that I need to pay for the damages and losses they have incurred, then should I still call the non-emergency number to file a police report to prove that it was sabotage on my equipment?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You can try this. The police may refer to this kind of dispute as a "civil matter" and you will be forced to deal with this in a breach of contract/property damage claim in civil court, but you can try starting with the police department (it won't hurt your position, although you won't be making friends with the other party).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, and when I call to file a police report, will I need to provide anything on my part aside from saying I would like to file a police report on a civil matter involving deliberate sabotage in a construction site?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
The police will only deal with the criminal aspect of the matter.They will not have any involvement in the civil case.