How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27082
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been receiving several threatening emails and texts

Customer Question

I have been receiving several threatening emails and texts all with different user names and phone numbers. They all link to the same person and IP addresses. Being an escort I feel limited in my options to protect myself as the harasser knows my address
Dallas TX
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Do you know the identity of the person who is harassing you? Are you looking to get a protective order and criminal charges pressed? Are the services you offer unlawful, and is that why you feel your options are limited?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they are not ...and yes I do know the identity of the individual as the IP address all links to the same person.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would my options in both situations being it be unlawful or not
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I was out walking my dogs.
If you are fearful for your safety as a result of these threats, you can report the crime to the police, ask for a protective order and say that you want charges pressed. This is stalking and it is a criminal offense.
Your options are the same whether you are or aren't doing anything unlawful. However, if anything you would have to say to the police in order to report the crime could incriminate you and result potentially in your own arrest, it would be best to have a lawyer report the crime directly to the prosecutor on your behalf.
Since that's not relevant to your situation, and since you know who this person is, you can go to the police and report it.