How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter "Anne's" boyfriend "Rick" has an

Customer Question

My daughter "Anne's" boyfriend "Rick" has an uncle "Joe" who is self-employed in a landscaping business. Uncle Joe came to Rick with a US Treasury check (about $2000) that he said had been endorsed by a customer and given to him as payment for work he'd done. He asked Rick to deposit the check in his (Rick's) account and give him the cash when the check cleared. Rick did this, and the check appeared to clear, but when my daughter tried to transfer some of the money to her account (with Rick's permission), the bank closed the account and Rick's debit card. My daughter is scared to death that she and Rick are now mixed up in some check fraud scheme with Uncle Joe. What are her options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
"Rick" needs to speak with the bank manager for his bank and find out why his account was closed.(It probably isn't very helpful at this juncture, but cashing or depositing checks for someone else, even if they are endorsed to you, is not a very good practice).Rick may need to help law enforcement with a prosecution of "Uncle Joe" depending on the scope of this matter - but without first knowing what is going on with his bank account, it is going to be too early to know what exactly he is dealing with.