Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Our family helped us out with some bills in March they sent

Customer Question
us a bill for 23k...
Our family helped us out with some bills in March they sent us a bill for 23k with 14% interest now today they sent us a new bill with 48k and 18% what can we do they are telling us that is the amount we can see any proof from them they have told us that
they give us 16k in cash that is so not true. What can we do ? Nothing with Interest had ever been told to us until now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Can the do that we never had any contract with them about anything.
7/21/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Interest and late fees can only be charged if they are agreed to in writing in the original contract. If your family loaned you money to help out, with no agreement as to interest (and they are now trying to charge an illegal, "usurious", interest rate) you can ignore this interest rate. If the money was a loan, you should repay it - an oral contract is enforceable, and they can sue you for enforcement of that repayment. (To be clear, this is repayment of the principal, again, they cannot tack on an interest charge after the fact).If the money was a gift, no agreement for repayment was made, you have no legal obligation to repay it, you can repay if you wish.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney