How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117373
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Social security just changed my name back into my birth name

Customer Question

Social security just changed my name back into my birth name that I had 61 years ago because it is my legal name. In the meantime all my records are in another name that is not my legal. I will have four pieces of ID in this name. Can I file anything in the federal courts to help me with this mess?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. The only thing you can do, and it is not that big of a mess actually, if you want to continuing using the name you have been using and not your legal name is ***** ***** petition for name change. (See sample: You can use this form as a template to file your own petition. You have to publish notice of the name change petition in court and then upon completion of publication you file for the Rule Nisi and final order for the name change. While this link is for Gwinnet county, you can use these forms as a template for any GA county ( Once you have your name changed by the state court, you file the copy of the order with SS and they will change your name back. That is the process and it is not as complex as you may think and it does not require going to federal courts. If you want a lawyer to represent you to do this, they charge typically about $1500 or if you cannot afford one you can go to the legal aid office nearest to you for low cost assistance.