How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask canonlaw Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 164
Type Your Legal Question Here...
canonlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is catholic, 24 years old . She is marrying a

Customer Question

my daughter is catholic, 24 years old . She is marrying a Baptist minister son. His dad is going to perform the ceremony. He has agreed to have instructions with the church along with his father. When he found out that he would have to sign a statement that he would raise his children catholic. He will not commit to this. I wanted my daughter to have this special sacrament. Is there any way that the priest can still witness the wedding if both of them complete the courses needed without agreeing to raise the children catholic. please help. thanks bob. Qurnell

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  canonlaw replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your question!Well, I don't know if you are aware that your daughter, as a Catholic, and marrying as she is another Christian, would still have the chance to achieve the grace of the Sacrament of Matrimony: requesting to the Ordinary of her Diocese (through her pastor) what is called "the dispensation of the canonical form" in favor of the Baptist celebration. In the same request, she can explain her situation with his fiancé's family and his refuse to sign the customary declaration of the non-Catholic party making her the promise to do her best in order that children will receive also Catholic education, seeking in this field some sort of compromise acceptable for all.In reference to the celebration itself, receiving that dispensation from the Diocese, she can be sure that the presence of a Catholic priest is not required neither the completion of the courses. Your daughter has the right to make this request and at least can listen the answer from the Diocese. It would be worse that for this reason the girl feels the temptation to leave the Catholic Church. If she promise that she wants to remain as a Catholic and to discuss with her future husband this issues at the proper time, she cannot receive a negative. Hope this would be enough clear to your question. You let me know, please
Expert:  canonlaw replied 2 years ago.
Wish my answer was proper to your question. Let me know, thanks.