My cousin (Africa) was secretly recorded by an online journalist…

Customer Question
My cousin (Africa) was secretly...
My cousin (Africa) was secretly recorded by an online journalist in the us, and this was played on his online radio, she has been arrested back home since the country is a dictatorship. I want to find out if we have a case against the journalist. My brother and his friend(both US citizens) who have been kidnapped by the same government for 2 yrs now, where pronounced to be dead by the same journalist which are also false.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 day by:
7/19/2015
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the journalist made and published known false statements about anyone, then that is a basis to sue for defamation/slander. However, the fact he recorded her in Africa, would not be the basis to sue if he published that recording, since in NV he had a right to make a recording without the other party's consent as long as he was participating in the interview, he could not be sued for the recording in NV.
The only thing he could be sued for would be the making of known false statements against someone that caused them harm.