Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am at a rehabilitation center in Safford Arizona stroke.

Customer Question
I am at a rehabilitation...
I am at a rehabilitation center in Safford Arizona for my stroke. I have a nurse practitioner and a social worker come into my room yesterday to tell me that I had to leave by Friday. They both spoke to my sister in law privately and told her that I am bipolar which is not on my records and I never gave consent for them to speak to her about my medical conditions on top of that. Do they have the right to release anything about me to anyone at a random whim?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
7/18/2015
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
No, this is a HIPPA violation. You can report this to the US Dept. of Health and Human Services here: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/
Even if my sister is a licensed nurse practitioner. I never gave them a 40 to talk to them about my records in which they never spoke to me about my records. I have never known that my records have ever showed that I am considered bipolar in which the records that I have have never ever shown anybody polar tendencies. The nurse practitioner that was hired by Haven health in Safford Arizona try to make me sign a disclaimer showing that I was accepting bipolar medication which I refused. The hospital / rehab facility here was not happy with my response.
This is still a HIPPA violation even though your sister is a healthcare provider.Dear Customer, I do not provide telephone calls - my hourly rate is far in excess of the small fee charged for this "Q&A" session, and I do not wish to provide the impression that we have an attorney/client relationship through this forum. If you desire a phone call, you can post a second question and post in the initial question that you are looking for "Additional Services" and another expert will provide you with an offer giving their fee for this additional service and additional instructions.
What law firm would you recommend in Phoenix or Tucson on a contingency basis for me to use to sue this facility for what they have done this is not the only hippo violation that this nurse practitioner and the social worker have done to me they have also left my door open with Nate statements about my health issues while people were walking by and other people are listening.
I cannot provide you with a specific referral (one of the rules of our forum), but I can provide you with a couple of good resources to locate a local attorney. You would be looking for a civil litigation attorney, preferably one with experience in health care and/or nursing home abuse litigation. You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney